Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Business of Moving Forward

It's been a week and a half since my gym closed. In that time, we've dealt with bounced paychecks, two teenagers searching for jobs and finding a place for my swim team members to practice swimming. I drove way too far for one swim practice, kept my sons up far too late to attend a meeting on the future of the swim team and then kept them up way too late the next night for a practice on dryland with the older swimmers. It's clearly imperfect but at least its beginning to fall into place.

Personally, I've struggled with what my next move should be career wise. I think it's easy to go overboard when you start something, especially when it's something you love. In the end, that can make frugal living damn near impossible. I don't want to get so busy that I can't keep making meals from scratch. I like unraveling sweaters and using the recycled yarn in new projects. I want to make more clothing by hand. Actually, I'm just getting ready to make two capes for Natasha to use when she's cutting hair, a solid one that matches her chair for adults and a smaller tie dye one for kids. I like being able to take the time to do these kinds of things. Aside from saving money, often I can make a higher quality, longer lasting version (and so can you!!)

With that in mind, I've begun taking baby steps to really develop my yoga business. I've started to set up a website (yahoo is really user friendly), ordered business cards(Vista Print came highly recommended even though they are the spam king in my opinion) and started getting the word out. I'm even considering setting up a DBA, it's only $25 in my county.

In an odd twist of fate, I've already got three kids registered to start a brand new yoga class with me next Monday in my home studio. I even got offered a job at another local gym (they came looking for me, go figure!) I have my eye on the fall as the time to really dive into things. Hopefully, by then both girls will be driving and I will be able to turn in my chauffeur's hat, at least for part of the week.

I'm hopeful. I'm grateful. I'm pleased. But I'm still angry. I'm hoping the anger subsides soon. At least it's not all bubbling up at the surface like it was last week.

In other postive, moving forward type news, we ordered some fruit trees and fruit bushes from a fairly local (within NY) grower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on moving forward and the home yoga studio! AND the new job offer! That is great :o) It can be really hard to move on sometimes, but you are. And of course you are still angry, and you have every right to be, but the important thing is that you are not letting your anger bog you down and immobilize you. Good luck!

Courtney

Ruthie said...

How funny that we go through the same sort of emotions at the same time. :-)