Friday, July 18, 2008

Just For the Record, I Didn't Puke in the Garden!

Did you ever have a good idea just go wrong or at least wrong enough to be noticed by others? I have an old blender that I was getting ready to take down to our local thrift store when I was struck with an idea. My worm bins are pretty full and I had read that another way to deal with vegetable peelings was to liquify them and pour them over your garden in the same way you would with worm tea.

I had a really big pile of turnip skins to deal with, so I thought what the heck. I popped them into the blender, filled it with water and gave it a whirl. Without really thinking about the possible consequences, I walked outside and poured this over my kale, chard and tomato plants. Now there's a white residue and it looks like I puked on my plants.

Oh well, at least the plants don't seem to mind. In fact, I swear they look a little perkier. However, I think I'll go back to my original plan and donate the old blender. The worms are much less unsightly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid my mom used to blend up the veggies before giving them to the worms.

Chile said...

LOL! Where are the pictures, Katie? ;-)

Ruthie said...

Katie ~

I've read a lot of people will do that and then bury the emulsion around the plants. Doesn't that sound more pleasant?

I got this funny picture in my head of you with a sick child having them stand by the compost pile instead of the toilet when they need to vomit. LOL

Ruthie