Thursday, September 27, 2007

Knitting News

Last was the first class in the intermediate knitting class I'm taking. (See Ruthie, great minds think alike!) We're starting out making a felted purse. You have to use wool to felt which, being vegan, bugs me. Originally, I was going to skip the project but now my plan is to hit the thrift store and find a big old wool sweater to unravel and then knit into this project. If there are any knitters out there who know of another type of yarn that can be felted I'd love to hear from you.

Ultimately, I don't think felting is something I'll be doing in the future but next week we start SOCKS!!! I couldn't believe the socks our instructor had made. She claims that we all have enough skills to make the socks already. I have my doubts but I desperately want to try. Like Ruthie and her hats, I suspect one sock will lead to another and another and another! At least socks and hats are useful.

If I get any cash on my upcoming birthday, I think I might splurge and buy some Soysilk Yarn. I'm so intrigued by this. For now I'll be sticking with my thrift store yarn finds as I embark on some covert holiday crafting (there are too many peekers to detail my plans right now!)

I'm intrigued by log cabin knitting as it was described to me last night as a way to use up yarn scraps. I don't know how to pick up stitches yet, or if I do I don't know that's what I'm doing, so this is a future project but here are a few links that describe the process.

Log Cabin Afghan Square

This Old Log Cabin

Its my day off and I have much to do! I hereby promise not to pick up the scarf that I've begun knitting for my niece at all today...Well, at least not during the daylight hours...Well, at least not until I'm helping kids with homework and I want to keep my hands busy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To felt, it has to be an animal fiber. On occasion you can find yarn that has been gathered from companion sheep, and then spun in small batches. It ends up costing an arm and a leg. I'd say a recycled sweater is a good solution.

Anonymous said...

recycling old sweaters is a great option, cause most of those will be pitched anyhhow..

i love that knit log cabin...hmmm i may have to remember knitting...

Celina in Canada

Anonymous said...

nice to find you!
As a busy vegan momma myself and one that has only a few moments to read your words, do you have recipes(cookies!), and what do you use for knitting? Lastly, did it work w/the recycled sweater and felting?
Cheers!
Crystine

Ruthie said...

Katie ~

THAT LOG CABIN BLANKET (#2) is SOOOOOOOO cool!!!!!!! :) OOhhh noo... must learn to pick up stitches (cross that) must finish october and november gifts and THEN learn how to pick up stitches. And somewhere in there figure out what to do for Christmas.

Barbara said...

I'm just a beginning knitter too and I'm working on a log cabin afghan. I love the range of colors you can use. I'm trying to figure out how to pick up stitches right now.

Barbara

Katie said...

Thanks for the input Allisone and Celina.

Hi Crystine,
Here's my favorite cookie http://frugalveggiemama.blogspot.com/2006/05/vegan-elementary-school-birthday.html

We also had a healthy cookie coversation a few weeks ago. http://frugalveggiemama.blogspot.com/2007/09/clean-up-clean-up.html

Ruthie & Barbara,
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's pick up stitch impaired! We'll figure this out together!

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI, I can't remember if you have already found knittinghelp.com - but it has free how to video clips. Very handy when learning to pick up stitches and such.

Katie said...

Thanks Allisone!