Monday, August 07, 2006

A Variation on the Chunky Vegetable Sauce

We had a visitor this weekend and the chunky sauce I mentioned on Friday was such a hit that I made it again on Saturday. I peeled, chunked and salted the eggplant as always but after rinsing it I placed it on an oiled cookie sheet and sprayed the tope of the eggplant with olive oil. I roasted it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, tuirning them over about half way through. I added the eggplant to the sauce right before serving. Everyone agreed that this really enhanced the flavor of the eggplant.

I also threw some shredded zucchini into our breakfast scramble this morning. In an amusing twist of fate, right after breakfast my neighbor's daughter presented me with two huge zucchinis.

Jim discovered a soaker hose in our garage that dates back to sometime in the mid 1990's. It turns out it's the prefect length to use on the blueberry bushes. I set it up today and am in the process of covering it over with pine needles to hold the moisture in. For any gardening newbies out there, soaker hoses are full of little holes that allow water to slowly drip into the soil, avoiding the leaves of the plant.

A minor snafu developed when I attempted to attach the soaker hose. It seems I ran the metal connector over with my minivan a few years ago and it was now oval rather than round. With a few taps of a hammer, Jim was able to make it round enough to make a tight connection. I'm still shocked that it worked!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thanks! We had a great time as well.