Friday, July 07, 2006

Vegan Peanut Butter & Carob Frosting

Kyle's 6th birthday demanded some extra creativity. He wanted a cake with "good" frosting. He's not a fan of the powdered sugar based frosting that I grew up with. Actually, neither am I. Talking about it now, I can almost feel the sugar headache coming on.

The other challenge in creating a frosting recipe is that chocolate doesn't agree with Kyle. This fabulous frosting had to be carob instead. The nail biting began early for me. Thank goodness it was only for immediate family or the stress would have been unbearable!

Using Lorna Sass' Carob Frosting recipe from her cookbook The Complete Vegetarian Kitchen as a template, I came up with this recipe. The kids all loved it. I thought it tasted a bit like the peanut butter cups of my youth.

Vegan Peanut Butter & Carob Frosting
Put 1/2 cup natural peanut butter in a measuring cup and let warm up to room temperature. Add:
3 Tbs sugar (I use turbinado sugar)
3 Tbs carob powder
about 3 Tbs vanilla soymilk (I ended up using a bit more than this. The soymilk is what makes it spreadable so you may need more or less.)

I mixed this by hand using a heavy spoon but if you prefer you could use a food processor to mix it. I just hate cleaning the food processor if I don't have to!

I served this on top of a Devil's Food Carob Cake recipe from the same cookbook. Kyle was thrilled with the results. If it tastes good second day, I may make another batch to serve to company this weekend.

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

There is a new Budget Area in the Veggin' Out Forums...log in, check it out, and PM me if you would like to help with it. :)
Happy Weekend!

Unknown said...

My sister's favorite was the Devil's Food Cake Recipe that she got from one of her friends. She always talks about it whenever we meet! I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!