Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Sweet & Sour Coleslaw

I made this today and recieved mixed reviews, the kids loved it but Jim hated it. Then again, Jim only likes cabbage after its been boiled down into a limp, lifeless mass. He's never been a coleslaw fan.

I like it because its a different twist on coleslaw that doesn't rely on mayo for flavor. Its vegan without being overtly vegan, if you know what I mean. I'm not certain what newspaper the original recipe was clipped out of but I suspect it was from Jean Carper's USA Weekend column back in the mid 90's. As usual, I've tinkered with it a bit.

Shred:
1 large head of cabbage, red or green will work

Grate:
2 large carrots

Combine the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl with a tight fitting lid. Sprinkle the following over the cabbage and carrot mixture:
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seed

Cover bowl and shake to evenly distribute sugar,salt and celery seed. Place in fridge for at least an hour. The cabbage will leach out a lot of liquid. If you don't like your coleslaw watery, you can place this mixture in a colander inside the bowl before placing it in the fridge so the liquid drains away. I can't stand to dirty any additional dishes if I don't have to, so I skip the colander.

Before serving stir in:
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar

Serve along with your favorite veggie burger, oven baked fries and crock pot baked beans. That's what we did.

I used the veggie burger recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance today. They were delicious despite my last minute substitution of shredded zucchini for mushrooms. Don't report me to Isa, I love her recipes too much for her to know that I tinker with them too!

No comments: