Thursday, April 06, 2006

Teenage Snack Attack

Yesterday my daughter had a group project to work on. The result was about 11 teenagers at my house after school. I offered to make some muffins or peanut noodles or popcorn but none of these things met with my daughter's approval. Instead, she opted to give me $10 of her own money and a shopping list of snacks, with the instructions "get the biggest bag that's the cheapest."

She lucked out in the beverage department. Both sets of grandparents have taken to bringing over cases of soda when they visit. We let the kids have a can each and then put the rest in the garage. We just don't normally drink soda and the kids forget its there so they never ask for it. Leen was delighted to discover a full case of soda and an almost full case of Snapple.

I hate buying junk but I think this was important for two reasons. First, she had to decide to spend her own money and she'll have to work to earn more. She's got a big school trip coming up so the need for her to have cash is very real right now. Second, she's begun to recognize how crummy she feels after gorging on junk. Her misery provides me with an opportunity to remind her how much better she feels when she's eating healthy foods.

At the end of the evening, the snacks were demolished and only one friend was still waiting to be picked up. I had made peanut noodles and leftover soup for dinner and offered some to the friend. Turns out she loved the peanut noodles and insisted on finishing what was on her plate even though her mother was waiting in the car. Sometimes getting kids to take the first bite is the hardest part.

Did my daughter think it was worth the $10? I'm not sure but she certainly wasn't asking for more snacks last night. Actually, my daughters paid me a high compliment just this past weekend. After spending most of the weekend with their grandparents, they announced that they were "sick of pizza and veggie burgers" and wanted some of my "real food." I think that sums up how she felt last night. She was ready for some real food.

I've got some over ripe bananas so I'll be making some banana bread tonight and freezing the rest of the bananas. Remember to freeze things in useable portions, it makes life so much easier. If you know your banana bread recipe calls for two bananas, then freeze two bananas to a container. If it uses two bananas but you always make 2 loaves, freeze 4 bananas to a container.

Also on my to do list is to get moving on the kids' Easter baskets. Every year I swear I'm going to just order vegan chocolate from Pangea and I never do. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Click here for a peek at how we handle Easter last year.

6 comments:

Grace said...

That's great that you can get your kids to eat mostly healty foods.

Ruthie said...

Katie,

Russell and I have perfected the art of making vegan fudge. In your honor, and maybe to help you out in time for easter, I will post our recipe on my blog sometime next week if you want me to! :-D

Anonymous said...

Oh that is great that she offered to use her own money when she wanted something different. My daughter will be three next month but she prefers "real food" to junk. She actually gives me requests of what she wants to eat. My daughter "works" to earn money of course her chores aren't too many at the moment but she puts her sketch books, reading books, flash cards, and toys away when asked.

I forgot Easter is right around the corner. My mother used to make delicious easter eggs when my brother and I were children. I think I will ask her for the recipe she used and "veganize" it.

Harmonia said...

I still have yet to buy from Pangea. I really want to but can't right now. Also the last time I tried...the shipping was way more than I was going to buy...so I didn't. I am thinking bigger orders are better there, eh?

Have a great weekend!

AnnMarie said...

An even easier tip for freezing bananas: Freeze them whole with the peel still on! Then you can easily grab as many as you need when the time comes.

Katie said...

Ruthie,

Please, please, please...

Grace,

I think its because we don't keep junk in the house. Sometimes they go off the deep end at a friends house but the ensuing bellyache is usually a good reminder. Their systems are much more sensitive and they react when they eat junk. Let's face it no 13 or 14 year old in the world wants to have diarhhea.

Vegan Momma,
Its great that she prefers real food. I think teaching our kids to love real food is one of the best gifts you can give them.

Hey Harmonia,
You definitely need a larger order to make the shipping costs worthwhile.

Annmarie,

I've frozen bananas in the peel before but I find it too much of a pain in the tail to get them out of the peel once they've been frozen. Do you have a trick to make it easier?