Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sprucing Up the Leftover Chili

On Monday night we had chili for dinner. Just for something different, I served it over bulgur. I also made guacamole. If you've never made guacamole, you really should. Its one of the easiest, tastiest things you could make. Serve it with chili and make a so-so dinner into a wow dinner! Premade guacamole and guacomole made from mixes are nothing compared to homemade.

Last night, I mixed up some of Ruthie's family cornbread recipe and poured it into a greased 9x12 pan. Using a spoon, I spread it out as evenly as possible along the bottom and sides of the pan. I poured the leftover chili and bulgur over the top to make a sort of deep dish pie.

I baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. I can't be sure about the time because after I put it in the oven, I left for work. When the timer on the oven buzzed, Jim turned the heat off but left the pan in the oven for another half an hour. It certainly didn't do any harm, the results were delicious. The corn bread was crisp on the outside and tender, not gooey, on the inside. I served it with salsa and black olives because there was no more guacamole left!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you be willing to share your homemade guacamole recipe? I have only recently discovered how wonderful avacados are - I'm hooked on them. :)

Katie said...

Avocados are addictive, I love them too. I'll post the recipe on the main page, so everyone can find it. Thanks for asking.