Saturday, March 25, 2006

Shopping Observations

There's a grocery store in my area that recently remodeled. Its a small grocery store and historically was never well stocked and it had very few veg or organic options. In its new incarnation this has changed. Its running a lot of loss leaders including ones on fresh organic vegetables and some veg products. To give you an idea, Silk twin packs are on sale this week for $4.99. They've also sent people in the area $5 discount coupons. Its nice to have another shopping option.

Yesterday I had to go to the mall to get new sneakers. The thing about teaching aerobics is your sneakers may look fine but the cushioning and support might be all gone. I have one pair of sneakers that I use when I teach. When they're too dead for me to use teaching anymore, they become my everyday sneakers (this is very much the same system that Amy Dacyzyn describes in The Complete Tightwad Gazette.) This system had been working well until recently, when my feet and ankles started hurting. Its not frugal to hurt yourself in the name of frugality, so to the store I went.

The good news is, there are lots of non-leather options in the sneaker world nowadays. I was able to get in and out of the mall in record time with comfortable, animal friendly sneakers.

I did make one more stop while at the mall. For some reason Victoria's Secret sends me a coupon for free undies every few months. I haven't bought anything from them in years but they still send me these coupons. The idea behind the coupon is you can also get a discount on their bra of the moment. I never do. I just walk in, ask where the free undies are, hand in my coupon and hit the road.

Jim's working today, so its me and the kids working on the room switch. I'm hoping to move two bookshelves today and maybe clear out a closet.

On the food front, I made tapioca pudding last night with soy milk and topped it with the crumb topping that was leftover from the apple muffins I made from Vegan With a Vengeance the other day (I baked the topping in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes). I can't wait until my copy comes, I have to return the other one to the library on the 27th. I tried to renew but someone else has it on hold so I couldn't! As for the pudding, I'm not a tapioca fan but everyone else in the family is. They all loved he combination. Maybe tonight I'll make the jerk seitan again.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Katie, I checked out soymilk prices when we went up to Bozeman on Spring Break and it looks like we'll be paying $1.00 more per gallon($2.59/half gallon compared to the $2.09 we pay now) after we move. All the more reason to find some time to make our own, but you know how that goes. We're trying to mix half powdered reconstituted with half fresh Silk now and we can't tell much of a difference.

Good news is our library is getting four copies of VwaV. So I'll finally get to see what everyone is raving about. :) Have you checked out A Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook? Its a new one a certainly want to add to my collection.

Ruthie

sarchan said...

I incurred a late fine from the library, because I just couldn't relinquish their copy of Vegan with a Vengeance. I love it so much. One of these days I'm sure I'll break down and buy it (poor college student), or else maybe someone who loves me will get a nice hint :)

Katie said...

Ruthie,
Its painful but if it makes you feel any better, the average price of Silk in our area has jumped to 3.39/half gallon.

Get on the waiting list for VwaV, you'll be hooked too. I haven't seen A Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook yet. I'll have to check the library.

Sarchan,
I'm in danger of doing the same! I must bring it to the library this morning or I'll start rationalizing, "its only 10 cents!"