Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Oatmeal Pie

I mentioned this recipe a few days ago. It is from New Penny Pincher's Cookbook by Sophie Leavitt. This is one of the many cookbooks I've acquired over the years from library book sales. I'm a big fan of the bag or box days where you fill up for a set price, around here its usually $3. BTW, neatness counts when filling a bag or box. The neater you place those books (or clothes or whatever you're allowed to fill the bag with) in, the more you can fit in the bag or box.

My kids really loved this recipe. Naturally, I've changed it around a bit, but longtime readers already knew that. Don't let the name Oatmeal Pie fool you. Based on the amount of sugar in this recipe, it is a dessert, not a breakfast.

Oatmeal Pie
Whisk together:
3 Tbs flaxseed meal
1/3 cup water

Add in:
1-1 1/2 cups brown sugar (I used 1 cup but I can see that you might want it sweeter.)
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Stir in:
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 Tbs water

Place this mixture into an unbaked pie shell. I didn't have one so I used enough unseasoned bread crumbs (saved from slicing my own bread) to cover the bottom of my pie plate and mixed them with 2 Tbs canola oil. Another option for the crust would be graham cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. My kids said it was better second day cold but ate it willingly enough right out of the oven.

BTW, non-vegans can use 3 eggs in place of the flaxseed meal/water mixture.

3 comments:

Isil Simsek said...

It sounds tasty. I will try this soon, thanks for sharing.

Harmonia said...

Sounds great!


Just realized today that I hadn't been here in a while...sorry about that. I will catch up and leave comments thru-out.

Have a great day!

Katie said...

Welcome Isil!

Good to see you Harmonia.