Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Evolution of a Casserole

Last night I made a casserole of lentils, brown rice, TVP, carrots, bok choy, bulgur and cheeze sauce. The dish just evolved as I stood in the kitchen. I had put 2 cups of lentils, 2 cups of brown rice, 1 Tbs of olive oil (to prevent foaming) and 8 cups of water, into my pressure cooker because once again, dinnertime snuck up on me.

As I waited for it to come up to a boil, I mixed 2 cups of TVP, with about 4 cups of boiling water, 1 tsp of sesame oil, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 4 Tbs of tamari and 1 packet of duck sauce that I found in the fridge.

Then I poked around the cabinets and found a cheeze sauce mix that I had made from Joanne Stepaniak's Uncheese Cookbook. I made a quadruple batch of that. Along the way I also defrosted carrots and bok choy in the microwave.

I greased two 9x13 pans and divided everything between the two pans and topped it all with the cheeze sauce. A little bulgur was sprinkled on top because I thought it seemed to liquidy. I baked it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and boy did it taste good.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I absolutely love to make casseroles, and this one sounded delicious. Nothing says lovin like something from the oven. ;)
Ruthie