Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Sunflower Seeds

Monday went pretty well, all things considered. I made 4 loaves of banana bread and 24 cocoa banana muffins. They've already been a huge help. The muffins only lasted through lunch but I knew that would happen.

I like to add nuts to whatever muffins or quick bread I make to give it a little more nutrition and holding power (the fat content in the nuts helps you stay full longer.) Unfortunately nuts can be pretty expensive, and organic nuts are almost double the price of non-organic ones. I've been experimenting with using sunflower seeds in place of walnuts in these recipes and so far I've really liked the results. In fact, no one in the house has noticed the difference.

The trick with all nuts is to make sure they don't get rancid. I try to store mine in the fridge or freezer. When I run out of room, I opt for the basement where the temperature is fairly constant. Not sure if your nuts are rancid? Rancid nuts stink and have an aftertaste. If you use them in recipes they will taint the flavor of the whole product. (Yes, you guessed correctly, I know this because I tried to use them once.) If you're not sure, then the nuts are probably okay. There's really no mistaking the smell if they have turned.

This afternoon is CSA pickup (for an explanantion of what a CSA is and where to find more info, check out the comments on yesterday's post), doctor's appointment for my son, I have to teach a class, and its meet the teacher night for my youngest.

Since yesterday was my oldest daughter's birthday, tonight we'll be having Chinese food. We always let the kids choose their birthday dinner. Its part of our keeping it frugal and fun philosophy.

No comments: