Thursday, August 04, 2005

Watermelon Rind Pickles

In my latest efforts to let nothing useful go to waste, I am attempting to make watermelon rind pickles. I just discovered the recipe in the Ball Blue Book of Canning. Since this weeks CSA pickup included two watermelon (pesticide free!) I decided this was the perfect time to give this recipe a try.

Canning can be a bit labor intensive so I'm just making a small batch to try now without actually canning it. If this is a hit with the family, I'll be canning all future rinds. Remember, its not a bargain if no one will eat it!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Audrey,
I'm not entirely sure about this. I can't find any place that says the rind is poisonous. In fact, several Cooperative Extension Websites, which are generally reliable sources of food info, list recipes using the watermelon rind but you actually peel off the dark green outer rind and just use the white part. So, to say you use the "rind" isn't entirely accurate. As a precaution, I wouldn't use the dark green outer rind, just in case.