Friday, January 14, 2005

My favorite bread & pizza dough recipes

I too have experienced breadmaker challenges like, lovely crust but gluey on the inside or top has caved in like an old mine. Nothing peeves me more than when I take the time to do something and it goes bust. To be frugal you have to be organized and to be organized you have to believe that your efforts will have a postitive result.

This is precisely why most of the time, I just close the door to the room my teen & preteen daughters share. I'm not going to miss the bus or go to school without breakfast because my left shoe is missing. Just this morning, they went to the bus stop in the pouring rain with no umbrella. One left hers in her locker, the other lost hers in the closet.

Now back to the bread conversation. As I said in an earlier post, I prefer an old fashioned bread mixing bucket. I can mix 5 or 6 loaves at a time in there, which means I only think about bread once a week. I still use the breadmaker when I misjudge things and start running low. Its still a timesaver.

Anadama Oatmeal Bread
This is the bread I usually make. I've tweaked it to the point where it is fairly foolproof. The only variable is the amount of water you use, depending on what kind of oatmeal you use you may need more or less. This makes a 2 pound loaf and can be done in your bread machine on a basic bread setting.

1/3 cup oatmeal
3Tbs cornmeal
2 cup boiling water

Combine these three ingredients in a heatproof bowl stirring with a whisk to prevent lumps. Let sit 10 minutes before adding to bread pan. Then add the following ingredients in the order given:

3Tbs canola oil
3Tbs molasses
2 1/4 cup whole wheat bread flour
1 1/4 cup white bread flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup of soya powder (this is vegan) or powdered milk
1/4 cup gluten
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dry yeast

If you want to bake it in the oven and avoid that bread paddle hole in the bottom. Bake it at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.

Pizza Dough

This can also be made in a bread maker on a dough only setting. It makes two pounds of dough or enough for two thick or three thin crusts.

2 Tbs olive oil
1 3/4 cup water
3 cups whole wheat bread flour
1 1/4 cup white bread flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs gluten
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry yeast

I usually make extra and keep it in the freezer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find your bread bucket? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find one anywhere!

Katie said...

I found mine on ebay. Try using searches for vintage bread maker, manual bread maker or universal bread maker. You can also try searches using the word machine in place of maker. I've never found one listed on ebay as a bread bucket, which I personally think is odd since that's what everyone calls it!

Good Luck!