Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Easy, tasty, frugal and nutritious dessert???

It doesn't seem possible that there is a dish that meets that description, not in todays low carb, no carb kind of a world. I think there is, but then I'm into nutrition based on real science and who wants to hear that anymore?? So what is this mysterious dessert? Its Apple Crisp.

The recipe I use is a variation on one my daughter brought home from school.
4-6 apples cored and sliced(I use one of those push down gagdets to do this part)
1/4 cup canola oil (you could use margarine but I always run out)
1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c oatmeal (I've used both quick cooking and old fashioned)
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Put the apples in an 8x8 oiled baking dish. Mix the remaining ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes and voila, you've got everything the title promises.

I just made this tonight and my kids just love it. Usually there's none left. Tonight I had to fight to save some for my hubby who's working late.

Now I must stop typing and start cross stitching...my Christmas crafts are not as done as I'd like them to be.

No comments: